Monday, January 25, 2010

Science: the Universal Language (text)

Touring a high school that receives some Rotary assistance I found this poster in the science lab: the Bohr Diagram of the Atom. My students back home will coming across this same idea very soon.  It is used to show the energy levels of electrons in their "orbit" around the nucleus. We have visited several schools in the last few days and even went to a talk on the effects of Climate Change on Bangladesh (it's not good news), so science education is very much on my mind. I am realizing that science literacy is so important for everyone everywhere. It is a language we can all speak no matter our country or religeon. Though it turns back the veil of mystery it increases the awe. Properly understood it does work against religeon but can bring it's students closer to God, closer to Allah through the knowledge of his workings.

The students here are so thankful for the opportunity to go to school. It is not available for all like it is in the states. The ones that are able to go seem so genuinely thankful, and work hard to master their subjects. Do you hear that kids? Don't make Mr. B move over here to do his science teaching! JK. I do miss all my students, my family, and my loved ones... I know I'll see you soon. Mr. Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment