Friday, February 5, 2010

Henna and And

Andrea getting her hand hennah'd last night at Mahleka's birthday party by Tubla. Tubla is really quite the master artist here. I will send an update of the final piece in the morning.

Using Henna, to paint on hands for decoration is very common. We first saw it here at a wedding. It is very common for men to henna their hair and beard, which gives it a very orangey color.

I did not see tatooing at all, though people are very covered up, which may mean there is no reason to do it or I simply could not see it.  Women wear a good amount of piercing jewelry, though not overly so.

No public drunkeness or intoxication. Little public beligerience or anger, despite the traffic. A lot of public patience. I never felt threatened or in danger from the people. A lot of courteousy to me. Helping and cautionary hands, strangers holding my hand to stop me from jumping into traffic. Many kind looks and nods of the heads. People of all ages coming up and asking in english where I am from and how do I like Bangladesh.
Even the word stranger is losing it's meaning here because unlike many western cities the "collectivistic" tendency of this society makes you feel that you are not living in a world of strangers as I would in big American city with no trespassing signs around our necks but in a society without these invisible barriers so people will come right up to you and engage you. This can be disconcerting for us but you get use to it and I'll miss it. It's harder to feel lonely here once you are adapted.

See you all very soon




From John's cell phone
805 798 0886
Jlkenyon@aol.com John's Bangladesh cell is+8801710308215

From John's cell phone 
805 798 0886 

No comments:

Post a Comment